- 1492 Christopher Columbus sets foot in America
- 1580 - English explorers settle in Roanake Island, North Caroline
- 1607 - First English colony founded in Jamestown, Virgina
- 1732 - All thirteen original colonies were established
- 1754-1763 - The French and Indian war (part of the 7 years war between Great Britain and France) ended with the victory of the British side. For the first time, Britain imposed high taxes on the colonies to compensate the high war casualties.
- 1773 The Sons of Liberty, a group of patriots, dump 342 chests of tea into the Boston Harbor. This event remained in the history books as "The Boston Tea Party"
- 1776 The Declaration of Independence is signed
- 1781 George Washington defeats England at Yorktown, Virgina